A Tampa Law Firm Committed to Your Recovery
Call for a Free Consultation
Cemetery at sunset with a pink and white rose arrangement on a gravestone

What Damages Can I Seek in a Wrongful Death Case?

If you lose a loved one due to someone else’s wrongdoing or negligence, you’ll likely want to pursue justice in any way possible. In addition, you may need help paying for the costs associated with an unexpected death.

Keep reading to learn what damages you may seek in a wrongful death case.

Economic Damages

Economic damages are also referred to as compensatory damages. In the state of Florida, the economic damages you may pursue in a wrongful death case are not capped. That means you may pursue the highest allowable damages for the following expenses:

  • Lost earnings
  • Medical expenses
  • Funeral costs
  • Other expenses your family has incurred as a result of the death

Noneconomic Damages

Noneconomic damages are also referred to as punitive damages. These damages are those that cannot be easily calculated and are intended to help make good on some of the violations that wrongful death victims and their families have endured. Additionally, these damages are meant to “punish” the defendant and discourage others from acting similarly in the future.

Some non-economic damages are as follows:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Loss of financial support

Noneconomic Damages Caps

In Florida, there is a $500,000 cap on punitive damages in medical malpractice cases that are brought against practitioners. The cap is raised to $750,000 when malpractice lawsuits are brought against non-practitioner defendants.

Let Us Help

If your loved one was killed due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another person, we may be able to help you recover compensation. Our attorneys here at Harmon Parker, P.A. are highly skilled in the area of wrongful death law and have helped many other people just like you obtain justice. Let us see if we can help you achieve justice, too. Don’t hesitate to contact us with your case right away.

Call Harmon Parker, P.A. today at (813) 452-4144 to learn more about how we can help you recover over a free consultation.