A Tampa Law Firm Committed to Your Recovery
Call for a Free Consultation
Male police officer takes a car accident report outdoors during the day in front of a black car and a white SUV

What Car Accidents Should Be Reported?

If you find yourself involved in a car accident, you may wonder whether you need to report it. Read on to learn when you should report a car accident.

When to Have the Police Take a Report

People are involved in car accidents of all kinds every day. Of course, some crashes are more severe than others.

No matter how severe the crash is, you should always have the police come and take an accident report.

There are a few reasons why you should always obtain a police report following a car accident. These reasons are as follows:

  • Without a police report, it’s your word against the other driver’s.
  • You will not have the proof you need to back up the claims you make about the accident.
  • When you file a claim, your insurance company may request this documentation.
  • If your case makes it to court, this documentation will be very valuable.

When to Report a Crash to the Insurance Company

You’ll need to be cautious when you report a car accident to the insurance company.

Your insurance company should always be made aware when you’re involved in a car accident. However, you don’t need to speak with the insurance company yourself. It’s a good idea to have your attorney make your statement for you so that you don’t risk saying anything to hurt your claim later on.

Be sure to make your insurance company aware of the accident within a few days. If you wait too long to alert your insurance company of the accident, they may be able to use that against your claim in the long run.

We Can Help

If you’ve been involved in an injury-sustaining car accident, our attorneys at Harmon Parker, P.A. are here to help. Our team has helped many other people just like you, and we can help you, too. Don’t hesitate to contact our firm with your case immediately.

Call Harmon Parker, P.A. today at (813) 452-4144 to learn more about how we can help you recover over a free consultation.